What Learn English through Drama is
Learn English through Drama is a training format for teaching and learning English as second language. It is the result of years of experience in teaching languages and communication skills.
It puts together the most effective methods for teaching through drama, such as Process Drama and Strategic Interaction, for instance. Also, it is based on the suggestopedic principles (though it is not a suggestopedic language course), which is what really sets this format apart from other theatre-based courses.
Training goals of Learn English through Drama
Learn English through Drama focuses on the speaking skills in order to take the students’ English to the next level and boost students’ confidence in speaking English.
The main training goals are the following ones:
- To enable the students to express themselves creatively and spontaneously in different communicative contexts
- To make the students confident in speaking English and at ease in the words they speak.
Who Learn English through Drama is designed for
It is designed for teenagers and adults with an intermediate level in English.
It is suitable for people who can speak English already and have studied the English grammar, but want to improve their fluency, consolidate their knowledge of the grammar and get their English closer to the language spoken by English native speakers.
NO ACTING EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED. This is an English course and doesn’t aim to train actors.
The magic of drama
Since our childhood, we have probably experienced drama as the ability to put together fantasy and reality. Put your hand up if, as a child, you never played the role of a princess, a king, a hero or a fairy. An upturned chair becomes a sailing ship, a kitchen table becomes a tent. Creating imaginary situations and using dramatic play is a way children explore life.
The good news is that drama never stops helping us to explore life. Whether we want to work on our self-confidence, self-efficacy in public speaking or to learn a foreign language, drama is one of the best ways to achieve results. Why? Because playing enables us to overcome our rational and emotional barriers. Especially when we are supported by a facilitator and a group of like-minded people. We feel at ease and safe. Safe in the words we speak and the way we express ourselves.
This is the magic of drama and the reason why drama boosts the learning process. When drama meets the field of education, it can transform a traditional lesson into an exciting learning experience. Click here to read the article.
What students learn in Learn English through Drama: course contents
The course programme covers a number of contents the students work on, for instance:
- The sounds of English: articulation, pronunciation, intonation
- Phrasal verbs
- Use of verb tenses in dialogues and storytelling
- Reading skills
- The communicative registers of spoken English
- Reviewing and consolidating the grammar rules.
The training programme aims to improve 4 key skills areas:
- VOCABULARY. During a Learn English through Drama course, the students invest the 40% of the time in learning and practicing new words and expressions, such as idioms and phrasal verbs that make their spoken English sound natural to an English native speaker.
- COMMUNICATIVE REGISTERS. Another consistent part of the time (25%) is dedicated to develop the students’ skills to switch the different communicative registers and use either formal or informal English according to the situations and the contexts. This part is about choosing the right words as well as using the body language properly.
- THE SOUNDS OF ENGLISH. The students practice articulation, pronunciation and intonation throughout the whole course and through specific exercises.
- GRAMMAR. The students brush up their knowledge of the grammar rules through both specific grammar games and plays or scripts. The course doesn’t give much space to the study of the grammar theory, though the drama activities give the chance to review some topics and consolidate them.
What the students do during the course Learn English through Drama
The students are involved in grammar games and drama exercises based both on drama scripts (specifically chosen and/or written for the course) and improvisation.
Different types of exercises used in order to improve the students’ English skills:
- Grammar exercises and games
- Reading exercises
- Writing dialogues, stories and scripts
- Memorising and playing scripts
- Improvising dialogues and monologues
- Group and individual exercises to improve students’ self-confidence in speaking English.
Here is how one of our students described her experience in the course:
Learn English through Drama is a proper structured English speaking course. You learn English through drama and also through friendly, positive energy which is created all the time by the teacher. Our teacher is not only a great actor and entertainer, but also a warm and open-minded person who really understands students and their needs.
Studying in such a great and friendly environment makes people feel motivated, confident and aware of their natural talents.
I am writing this, not only to the adult students, but also to the parents of teenagers who are not sure if their kids would be in the right place. The answer is: Yes! They will be!! The world changes, but English is (and will be) the most important spoken language that each of us has to know. Even, if you are not sure that you would enjoy acting, just come along, break your routine and try something new! Click here to read the article.
How the course Learn English through Drama is structured
Learn English through Drama course lasts either 1 week or 2 weeks. Courses are available in summer and all year round. Find out next summer courses and get enrolled!
Who the teachers are
Our teachers are all English native speakers. They are experienced drama instructors and got certified in teaching English as a second language.
Thinking of teaching English through drama? We do one-to-one and group courses for teachers.
Want to get more information about Teachers Training courses for teaching English through drama? Please, send us a message:
Drama can boost your fluency and confidence in speaking English
“All the world is a stage”… but I’m playing the role of a tree!
“All the world is a stage…” said the Poet, but sometimes we feel like we are playing the role of a background actor or… a tree! All around us, people are making their voices heard. And what about us?
Gaining confidence in speaking a foreign language is something you can’t learn in a training course or from a book 🙁
Learn English through Drama: the English speaking course that made a breakthrough
Graduated, young professional, good knowledge of the English and French languages. Elena had what it takes to move to the UK looking for a job and start a new career. Nevertheless, she felt insecure about her English skills and whenever it came to speaking English she did her best to avoid the conversation. Well, Elena decided to make a breakthrough to her English skills. Here is what she did to finally boost her English and gain self-confidence in speaking English.